Don't Make Me Go | Film Review

 

This is an Amazon Prime Video movie that I was initially attracted to because I'm a fan of John Cho. But thankfully the premise was a really interesting one, and I was excited to see how emotionally invested I would become in these characters.

When a single father (John Cho) learns his devastating diagnosis, he takes his daughter (Mia Isaac) on a road trip to find the mother who abandoned her.

I enjoyed this movie... until the end.

John Cho and Mia Isaac have great chemistry. They work really well together and were completely believable as father and daughter. Their dynamic was realistic and enjoyable to watch.

The film includes important messages and themes of love and family, told in a way that makes you think about your own life.

It is heartbreaking to see this film from Max's (Cho) point of view, knowing what his end goal is. Having knowledge that Wally (Isaac) doesn't have makes the audience feel like we are involved in this film, and in on a secret, which made me feel emotionally invested in the characters.

Having said that, I didn't feel as emotional as I wanted to. Given that the premise of the film is inherently emotional, I didn't feel anything as strongly as I wanted to.

And then the ending happened.

To be honest, going into this film, I thought it was going to be a sweet film about love and family, so I was thrown once with Max's diagnosis, but I was completely caught off guard by how the film ended. In fact, the ending of the film almost made me regret watching it in the first place.

Overall, this film was a 6/10 before the ending. I would love to see just a sweet father/daughter movie with these actors and characters because I don't think there's enough of them, and these actors were great together.

5/10



Comments

Popular Posts

The Green Mile | 100 Movies Bucket List

Book Review #127: The Hawthorne Legacy by Jennifer Lynn Barnes

My Problem With '8 Simple Rules'

Anyone But You | Film Review

Girl Talk: Summer Fashion