The Adam Project | Film Review

I heard quite a lot about this film before seeing it, mainly the general opinion that people really enjoyed it. I’m a huge fan of Ryan Reynolds, so I was always going to watch it, but the positive reaction to it made me excited to see it.

Time-travelling pilot Adam (Ryan Reynolds) teams up with his 12-year-old self (Walker Scobell) to save the future.

I enjoyed this film a lot more than I initially thought I would.

One of the things about Ryan Reynolds is that all of his movies contain his signature humour. And fortunately, this humour was replicated by Walker Scobell, who played his role amazingly.

I loved that the film didn’t take too long to explain things, and the characters didn’t take a long time to work things out. It just accepted time travel as a real concept, and then moved on, which was perfect.

There were moments where the film tries to be heartfelt, but a lot of the emotional things felt very surface-level. The film told us that this character was sad/hurt/affected by something, but it took a long time to see the effect of these emotions on the characters. In fact, it was only at the end of the film where I actually understood, and felt, the emotions that the film tried to make me feel.

In fact, I’d go so far as to say that the ending was the best thing about the film.

The cast is amazing. I have already mentioned Walker Scobell, who plays young Adam so well! But the film also stars Mark Ruffalo, Jennifer Garner and Zoe Saldana, in addition to Ryan Reynolds, and they were all amazing in their roles. Although I would have loved Jennifer Garner and Zoe Saldana’s characters to get a bit more time in the film – their scenes are great, but over too quickly.

This is a really sweet story. It’s interesting, uncomplicated, well-written (and acted) and everything makes sense. It felt like sci-fi, action, adventure, drama and romance mixed into one film and done really well.

Overall, I would definitely recommend this film. It was original, funny and entertaining, and while there were some moments when the dialogue got a bit unrealistic, or where your interest was lost, ultimately this was an enjoyable watch.

7/10



Comments

Popular Posts

Star Wars Episodes IV, V, VI | 100 Movies Bucket List

Airplane! | 100 Movies Bucket List

Suncoast | Film Review

Drive-Away Dolls | Film Review

Where Rainbows End vs. Love, Rosie | Film and Book Review