Malignant | Film Review

I had been looking forward to seeing this film for a while. I am a huge fan of the director, James Wan, and would probably watch anything he made, so this was always going to be in my 'to watch' list.

When Madison (Annabelle Wallis) is plagued by dreams of gruesome murders, she is terrified to discover that her dreams are, in fact, a reality.

I appreciate the overall idea for the film more than I liked the execution of it.

What first threw me off was that I couldn't tell whether the film was supposed to be modern or old-fashioned, particularly because of the architecture.

It takes a really long time to figure anything out, and even when you think you understand something, 10 minutes later you find out that you never really understood it at all. This could be seen as either a good or bad thing - the film is mysterious, but it does become frustrating.

At times the film felt a bit like a parody - especially because of the stupid decisions the characters make.

The story is interesting, but it gets a lot more complicated than it needs to. 

The villain is a confusing one. Even when the whole film is explained, I still have a lot of questions that weren't answered.

I found the score too overpowering. The film would be scarier without the score repeatedly telling the audience to be scared.

Overall, I appreciate the story, and the twist within it. It is original, unique, and was created in an interesting way. However, separating the premise from the film itself, I feel like a better movie could have been made from the unique idea.

5/10



Comments

Popular Posts

Star Wars Episodes IV, V, VI | 100 Movies Bucket List

Suncoast | Film Review

Drive-Away Dolls | Film Review

Where Rainbows End vs. Love, Rosie | Film and Book Review

My Problem With '8 Simple Rules'