Deep Water | Film Review

I was really looking forward to seeing this film. Not only am I a huge fan of Ben Affleck, but this film was being talked about a lot while the actors were in a relationship in 2020, so I was intrigued about it for a while.

A married couple play dangerous mind games that threaten the lives of the people around them.

That isn't the most accurate description of the film, but because I went into it almost completely blind, I didn't want to give anything away whatsoever.

I liked this film. It has definite flaws, and I can see why others might not like it, but it was more interesting than I assumed it would be.

Though I have to say, it is advertised as an erotic thriller, and I didn't really get that from it. Unless just the idea of sex makes a film erotic?

Ben Affleck and Ana de Armas work well as a couple and have great chemistry. But the characters that they play, while interesting, don't always feel real.

The film has a very specific tone and vibe. There is so much tension between these characters that watching it makes you feel on edge.

The story is an interesting one. As I've said, I went in blind and ended up being pleasantly surprised, so that's how I would recommend going into it. It's better when you can't guess what's coming next.

For me, the fatal flaw of the film was that I wasn't given enough reason for why these characters wanted to stay together. Other than their chemistry, there was nothing in their histories, or their lives, to justify their relationship.

In this film, imagination is better than reality. When certain things become a reality, the film loses its mystery and becomes a bit boring. I won't give anything away, but I would have preferred the 'did they/didn't they' to continue until the film ended.

The concept of the film changes as it reaches its climax, and I didn't like that. I much preferred the way the film began to the way it ended.

Overall, I enjoyed the film and would recommend it if you're looking for a psychological thriller, though I do understand why some might not enjoy it.

6/10



Comments

Popular Posts

Star Wars Episodes IV, V, VI | 100 Movies Bucket List

Airplane! | 100 Movies Bucket List

Suncoast | Film Review

Drive-Away Dolls | Film Review

Where Rainbows End vs. Love, Rosie | Film and Book Review