Fatherhood | Film Review

This film came out on Netflix a couple of weeks ago and I was instantly intrigued. Not only is the premise something that I don't see often, but it also seemed completely different to any other Kevin Hart movies I've seen.

After the sudden death of his wife, Matt (Kevin Hart) has to bring up his new-born daughter as a single parent.

I really liked this film. It was somehow exactly what I expected, and better than I expected, at the same time.

For a start, you know there is going to be humour in a Kevin Hart film, so that's not a surprise. But the humour was done so well, and mixed so well with the drama, that it really enhanced the film.

As I've said, I liked the idea of the premise because I don't see it that often. Of course there are other films about single fathers raising children, but the ones that I've seen usually use that as a backdrop to tell a wider story. This one was only about Matt and his daughter, Maddy (Melody Hurd), and I loved that.        

Matt is such a great character He's really endearing and likeable, and you're rooting for him from the beginning. We instantly have faith in him, and become invested in the lives of him and Maddy.

I loved that the film showed the progression of Maddy's life, and Matt's parenting, as opposed to just showing one time period. In fact, one thing that I would have changed about the film is that I would have liked to see even further into the future. I would watch an entire movie about teenage Maddy.

The relationship between Matt and Maddy is the heart of the film. It's beautiful, and there is amazing chemistry between the actors. This is also enhanced by the film's other characters, such as Marian (Alfre Woodard), Lizzie (DeWanda Wise) and Jordan (Lil Rel Howery).

The story doesn't shy away from showing the bad moments, particularly those that don't show Matt in the best light. This makes the film feel really real and authentic - no parent gets everything right every time.

Overall, not only is this a really lovely movie, but it's also a really important one. It's funny and heartfelt, and I would definitely recommend it to everyone.

7/10



Comments

Popular Posts

Star Wars Episodes IV, V, VI | 100 Movies Bucket List

Drive-Away Dolls | Film Review

Airplane! | 100 Movies Bucket List

Suncoast | Film Review

Where Rainbows End vs. Love, Rosie | Film and Book Review