Girl Talk: Cliques



Dictionary Definition: a small close-knit group of people who do not readily allow others to join them.

I hate cliques.

It's hard to imagine some places, like school, without cliques. You have the people that fit into several different stereotypes, and people who fit into no stereotypes. But there's a difference between a friendship group and a clique. I have a friendship group, a group of friends that generally hang out together. On the other hand, I think the thing that separates a clique from a friendship group is that a clique deliberately excludes other people.

The thing that really annoys me about this is that, for most schools and colleges, especially mine, it seems like everything is a popularity contest. People want to fit into the most popular clique and I don't understand why. To me, fitting into the most popular clique is basically admitting that you're going to act the same way as everyone else, to make sure that the 'popular' girls like you and want to be your friend. Personally, it seems childish to change something about yourself just to make the people at school/college like you. These are people that, after 5 years, you'll probably never see again. Why do we care so much about what they think of us?

I'm seriously no different. Well, I don't try to fit into the popular clique and I'm not really friends with anyone who's in the 'popular' clique. I have my friendship group and I'm happy with that. However, I do care way too much about what other people think of me. This isn't just the popular clique, but everyone. Whenever I do something, the way that people will see me is always in the back of my mind and I hate that. I try my best not to let other people's thoughts get to me and sometimes I succeed. My main tip is to believe that I'm overreacting, that no one is looking at or thinking about me in any way, and this helps.

I guess this rant type post was just to remind you how amazing you are, and to tell you that your amazing-ness doesn't depend on whether or not you belong to the most popular clique. And if you do belong to the most popular clique, make sure that people love you for who you are, not who you pretend to be.

Thank you for reading.
Comment below your opinion on the 'popular' clique!

Comments

Popular Posts

Road House (2024) | Film Review

Wonka | Film Review

Scarface (1983) | 100 Movies Bucket List

My Problem With '8 Simple Rules'

The Matrix | 100 Movies Bucket List