Madame Web | Film Review

When Cassie Webb (Dakota Johnson) starts to have visions of the future, she sets out to protect three teenage girls from a mysterious assailant.

This movie has become a bit of a joke on the internet, supposedly for how bad it is. It wasn't really on my radar at all, and I wasn't planning to watch it until I saw all the negative reviews. But I had to know if it was as bad as everyone said!

Surprisingly (to me), I didn't hate this film. It's not good, but it also wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be.

However, I will say that for the first 30 minutes, it was bad. I had absolutely no idea what was going on, what the film was about, or where it would be going.

But once the three girls were introduced, I started to really get into it. I loved the idea of these girls being connected because of their futures, and I liked the way this was discovered.

Cassie's visions were quite jarring at first, but the more they happened, the more it worked for me.

The writing is bad the entire way through, both in terms of how the actual scenes are written, and the dialogue. Everything about it is bad, but some of it is so bad that it's enjoyable, so that's a plus!

I think the thing that I actually liked about the film was the actors. Not only did they do the best they could with a bad script, but they had great chemistry (particularly the three girls), and it would be nice to see them do something else together.

The story itself is convoluted, and a lot of it feels really pointless.

Even though I liked the characters, for the most part, the film didn't really do anything to make me care about them. 

There are many places where the film tries to inject humour, and I can't think of one time where this actually works well. 

The last fight scene is badly done and feels all over the place.

And then the ending - what was that? I get what they were going for, but it didn't work for me at all.

Overall, I didn't hate the film as much as most people seem to, but I can also acknowledge that it wasn't that good. I liked the actresses, but pretty much everything else about it fell flat. But at least I was never bored!

5/10


Comments

Popular Posts

Book Review #128: The Dream Home by T. M. Logan

Strange Way of Life | Short Film Review

12 Angry Men | 100 Movies Bucket List

Office Space | 100 Movies Bucket List

The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It | Film Review