Thor: Love and Thunder | Film Review

 

Like a lot of Marvel/MCU fans, I loved the Thor film before this one, Thor: Ragnarok, and I liked the direction that Thor went in after that movie. So I was excited to see how the Thor storyline would continue in this movie.

To battle a galactic killer, Thor (Chris Hemsworth) teams up with King Valkyrie (Tessa Thompson), Korg (Taika Waititi) and ex-girlfriend Jane Foster (Natalie Portman), now 'The Mighty Thor'.

I didn't like this film. Maybe I need to watch it again, but on the first watch, it wasn't for me.

It kind of felt like the filmmakers saw that jokes, recognisable songs and action scenes worked really well in Ragnarok, so they filled the beginning of Love & Thunder with them with no set-up (particularly the action scene), and it didn't work for me at all.

Everything that happened, up to and including Jane becoming The Mighty Thor, felt really insignificant. Nothing felt impactful, and it doesn't feel like anything in the MCU will be changed because of this movie.

Not only does the film not make the audience care about any of the new characters introduced, but it also made me stop caring about characters that I had previously loved.

One of the most memorable moments in Ragnarok used a memorable song in a really interesting way, and it is still a scene that I love and re-watch. The music in this film is popular and recognisable, but it's used so frequently that it has virtually no impact.

It's so strange to me that the same filmmakers of Ragnarok made this film, because there are points of this film that felt like the filmmakers had never even seen, let alone made, a Thor movie before.

Even if everything else in the movie had worked, it was also a bit slow, and ultimately a bit boring.

Overall, I was really disappointed with this film, based on how much I loved the one before this. I might watch it again to see if my opinion changes, but I probably wouldn't recommend it at the moment.

3.5/10



Comments

Popular Posts

The Green Mile | 100 Movies Bucket List

Anyone But You | Film Review

Suncoast | Film Review

My Problem With '8 Simple Rules'

Life Lessons From Disney Princes!