Marry Me | Film Review

I have wanted to see this film for a while, not only because I'm a fan of the main actors, but because the plot (as convoluted and unrealistic as the trailer looked) seemed like it would be cute and funny, so I'm glad I finally got the chance to see it.

After finding out about her fiancé's infidelity, musician Kat Valdez (Jennifer Lopez) decides to marry Charlie Gilbert (Owen Wilson), a math teacher who attends her concert. But as they try to keep up appearances as a couple, do Kat and Charlie have more in common than they first thought?

I really liked this film! I knew I'd probably enjoy it, but I had no idea how much.

From the moment I saw the trailer, I thought the premise of the movie was a bit silly. And it is. But the idea is so silly that it actually works. After you get over the initial unrealistic nature of this marriage, it doesn't feel that weird.

The characters, not only Kat and Charlie but also the supporting characters, are adorable, and so fun to watch. They are also, as is the entirety of the film, really well-written.

Despite the plot feeling unrealistic, the film did a good job of making the story, particularly the media side, believable.

JLO and Owen Wilson have great chemistry, which is one of the reasons that the film works as well as it does. This is a couple that the audience can root for because they're sweet and endearing. But in addition, this is a relationship that builds organically, and is lovely to watch.

The 3rd act conflict makes sense, but ultimately it comes out of nowhere and is clearly only used to build a conflict where one may not actually be.

Overall, I really liked this movie. It's an adorable rom-com that I would definitely recommend to anyone who likes them.

7/10




Comments

Popular Posts

Star Wars Episodes IV, V, VI | 100 Movies Bucket List

Drive-Away Dolls | Film Review

Airplane! | 100 Movies Bucket List

Suncoast | Film Review

Where Rainbows End vs. Love, Rosie | Film and Book Review