Book Review #104: Daisy Jones & the Six by Taylor Jenkins Reid

There was no way I could have bought 'The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo' without also getting 'Daisy Jones & The Six', both by Taylor Jenkins Reid. If there was any book more highly reviewed than Evelyn Hugo, it was Daisy Jones.

Everyone knows legendary rock band Daisy Jones & The Six. But nobody knows the reason why the band split up at the height of their success... until now.

I have mixed feelings about this book. I can understand why the concept, originality and characters make people love it as much as they do, but there were some parts of it that fell flat for me.

I really liked the way the story is told. It is written in the form of a collection of interviews and this makes the information and different points of view easier to understand and digest.

The story felt authentic. It is well-written and I believed the things the characters were doing and saying.

While I enjoyed the story as I was reading it, there was nothing making me want to pick it up. And because of that, it took me a really really long time to get through.

I found it hard to distinguish between some of the characters, particularly the men. Other than the character of Billy, the rest of the men kind of blurred into one - even after reading I couldn't give specific plot points about the male characters by name.

Having said that, the characters of Daisy and Billy were amazing. The energy, chemistry and emotionally charged interactions between the characters completely carried the story. This could have been a story with only two characters, who weren't rock stars, and be just as compelling. I would love to read a romance book with these characters at the forefront.

In fact, I'd go so far as to say that for me, the only reason this book works is that it put these characters together. If they weren't in the same space, if the story was about one of them without the other, it wouldn't work. None of the characters in this story work without the other characters, and the backdrop of the story itself, propping them up.

I enjoyed the ending much more than the beginning. Getting to the end made everything else worth reading, but the beginning wasn't as compelling as I wanted it to be.

Overall, I felt a bit disappointed with this book, given the hype it generated. But I enjoyed reading it, and I am really looking forward to seeing the TV adaptation when that comes out - I feel that a series is probably a better format for this story, for me, than the book was.

3/5



 

Comments

Popular Posts

Snatch | 100 Movies Bucket List

American Psycho | 100 Movies Bucket List

Miller's Girl | Film Review

Book Review #127: The Hawthorne Legacy by Jennifer Lynn Barnes

My Problem With '8 Simple Rules'