Halloween Kills | Film Review

I am a big fan of the Halloween franchise, so much so that I went to the cinema to see the film that came out before this, so I was really looking forward to seeing the sequel (though I didn't think the previous film needed one).

After the events of the previous film, masked killer Michael Myers is on the loose and once again terrorising the residents of Haddonfield. But this time, the residents are ready to rid their town of evil once and for all.

So, my hunch that this sequel wasn't needed turned out to be correct.

For a start, this film starts directly after the last movie. And while this is fine, it felt like there was a bit too much time between the films for the audience to completely remember what happened last time, or who some of the characters are.

Having said that, I did enjoy the links between the films - particularly the links back to the original 1978 movie.

The 'Halloween' movies aren't the pinnacle of realism, but this one felt especially unrealistic. So many stupid decisions were made in such a small amount of time that it was really hard to suspend disbelief.

The film wasn't particularly well-written, and some of the dialogue felt a bit cringey. 

At times it could be hard to keep track of who each character was and what their role in the franchise had been.

The film is longer than it needs to be, and with that, it feels even longer than it is.

My least favourite thing about the film is that I felt like the character of who Michael Myers is changed a bit. The franchise began with a human being who killed a couple of people, and this film basically turned Michael into an indestructable supernatural villain who was capable of so much more than he did before (despite his advanced age). It took away a lot from what I love about the franchise.

Overall, I found this sequel a bit pointless. It's entertaining enough, but it doesn't really add anything to the franchise.

3/10



Comments

Popular Posts

Snatch | 100 Movies Bucket List

Book Review #127: The Hawthorne Legacy by Jennifer Lynn Barnes

Miller's Girl | Film Review

My Problem With '8 Simple Rules'

Girl Talk: Summer Fashion