Crush (2022) | Film Review

 

I didn't know much about this film before it came out, but I had heard really good things, so I was excited to see what I thought of it.

When Paige (Rowan Blanchard) is forced to join her school's track team, she takes the opportunity to pursue the girl that she has always had a crush on (Isabella Ferreria), but slowly ends up falling for someone else on the team.

I loved this film. 

The characters were perfect. As well as Paige and her first love interest Gabriela, we also have AJ (Auli'i Cravalho), Dillon (Tyler Alvarez), Stacey (Teala Dunn) and Paige's mother Angie (Megan Mullally). All of the characters were interesting, well-written and really helped to tell the story. In fact, the characters completely carried the film - they were better written than the actual dialogue of the film.

And with the characters comes the actors, who were all amazing in the roles they were playing.

The story itself is interesting and allows the relationships between the characters to develop in a natural way.

One of my favourite things about this film was that, despite this being an LGBT+ love story, the story did not focus on the sexualities of any of the characters. As much as I think coming out and coming-of-age stories are great and necessary, it's also nice to have stories like this, where the characters are gay/bi from the get-go and the story just focuses on their lives and relationships.

Despite me not loving a lot of the dialogue within the film (there are a few cringey moments, to say the least), I was surprised by how funny I found the film. It truly is a romantic comedy, and one of the best I've seen in a while.

Overall, watch this film. It's sweet, funny, romantic and definitely worth a first and second watch. 

7.5/10



Comments

Popular Posts

Star Wars Episodes IV, V, VI | 100 Movies Bucket List

Drive-Away Dolls | Film Review

Madame Web | Film Review

Airplane! | 100 Movies Bucket List

Suncoast | Film Review