Free Guy | Film Review

 

I had heard a lot about this film when it initially came out last year - mostly good things. It never really appealed to me, though, partly because I didn't really understand the premise, and also because it didn't seem like my kind of thing. But it had always been on my 'to-watch' list, and I finally got around to it.

When a bank teller discovers that his world is a video game, and he is a background character within that game, he decides to become the hero of his own story.

I absolutely loved this film! I had quite low expectations, so I was surprised by how much I loved it.

Once I understood the concept, I loved it. I'm not a huge gamer, but I do enjoy playing video games, and I wish more movies were made that explored video games in this way.

There are multiple references to pop culture sprinkled throughout the film,  and not only are these well-placed, but they do a good job of explaining the world of the film and moving the story forward, rather than just being an exciting catch for the viewer (though there are a few of those).

I found the film really funny. The humour feels effortless.

It's also really well-written. What I loved was that you can tell that there were gamers involved in the making of the film, which made everything feel realistic and authentic.

I loved the cast and the characters. The film stars Ryan Reynolds as Guy, Jodie Comer as Millie, Joe Keery as Keys, Lil Rel Howry as Buddy, Utkarsh Ambudkar as Mouser and Taika Waititi as Antwan - as well as a smattering of other actors and characters, and every person in this film is completely perfect for their role.

Despite how unrealistic the basic concept is, the story is really compelling and makes complete sense. It is reminiscent of The Truman Show - you know it probably isn't happening, but there's a part of you that thinks... maybe?

One of my favourite things about the film was that the stakes of the film are high in more than one way. You feel nervous for all of the characters.

Overall, I loved this film from start to end. Bar tick, tick... BOOM! it's the best film I've seen this year, and I would recommend it to anyone. It's definitely worth a watch!

8.5/10



Comments

Popular Posts

Star Wars Episodes IV, V, VI | 100 Movies Bucket List

Drive-Away Dolls | Film Review

Airplane! | 100 Movies Bucket List

Suncoast | Film Review

Madame Web | Film Review