I Want You Back | Film Review

 

I didn't know anything about this film before it came out, but the fact that it stars Charlie Day meant that I was going to watch it no matter what it was about, because I'm such a huge fan of him and his style of comedy.

Peter (Charlie Day) and Emma (Jenny Slate) have both been dumped. When they meet and realise that they are both suffering from a broken heart, they decide to work together to get their exes out of their new relationships.

I liked the concept of this more than the execution.

Having said that, the film has a great cast. As well as Charlie Day and Jenny Slate, it also stars Scott Eastwood, Manny Jacinto, Clark Backo and Gina Rodriguez, and they all play their roles really well.

Day and Slate have good chemistry, and are fun to watch.

The story is somewhat interesting, but it does feel like we have seen multiple variations of it before. However, the way that the characters are written makes the film feel more original than it otherwise would be. They are witty, funny and sweet (even if their actions are questionable).

The film didn't hold my attention the entire way through, there were points when it got a bit boring, but ultimately I was interested in how the film ended.

My major gripe with the film was that I never really felt like Peter and Emma belonged together. I liked their friendship, but I never felt their chemistry was anything beyond friendship. However, I did love seeing Charlie Day as the romantic lead.

Overall, this was a mostly enjoyable movie. There's nothing groundbreaking or really unique, but it's a nice way to spend a couple of hours.

6/10



Comments

Popular Posts

Star Wars Episodes IV, V, VI | 100 Movies Bucket List

Drive-Away Dolls | Film Review

Madame Web | Film Review

Airplane! | 100 Movies Bucket List

Suncoast | Film Review