Charlie's Angels (2019) | Film Review

Charlie's Angels (2019) - IMDb

Hey Guys x

I think my review will be marred with the fact that I know nothing about the previous Charlie's Angels works. I've never seen the films or the show or anything, so I went into this completely blind - maybe if I had something to compare it to, I would have liked it less than I did? Based on other reviews I've read, that's true.

Two female secret agents (Kristen Stewart and Ella Balinska) are tasked with exposing an international conspiracy to weaponize an extremely powerful device, with the help of an engineer who knows the device all too well (Naomi Scott).

I really enjoyed this film. I didn't really know what to expect going into it, so I was pleasantly surprised.

For a start, even though I didn't see the previous movies, it was nice that this film didn't completely erase them.

What I find about movies with a plot similar to this is that the full purpose of the mission is always a bit hard to come to, and for this one I didn't really understand what they were trying to do until well into the film. But for me I was enjoying myself so much that I didn't really mind that I didn't know what the purpose of the mission was.
In addition to that, I found that the story was so compelling to me that I was even extremely invested in the little side stories that popped up along the way.

The acting in the film was great. As well as the three main stars, the film also includes Elizabeth Banks (who is the director, producer, and the screenwriter), Patrick Stewart, Djimon Hounsou, Sam Claflin and Noah Centineo, as well as variety of cameo's, and every character was perfectly cast.

While it's not laugh-out-loud funny, it's most definitely a comedy. I found that none of the jokes fell flat, and even though they didn't really elicit any laughs, they were all amusing and helped to move the plot forward.

Specifically for spy movies, which I don't watch too often, I tend to focus on whether or not the plot makes sense, and whether or not the villain's reasoning makes sense - and for me, both of those were things that worked for me. I understood the plot (for the most part), and the villain's reasoning was clear before we even know who the villain is.

Overall, I really enjoyed this film and would definitely watch it again. I actually wanted to watch it again as soon as the credits rolled!

7.5/10

Lou

Comments

Popular Posts

Snatch | 100 Movies Bucket List

My Problem With '8 Simple Rules'

The Green Mile | 100 Movies Bucket List

Book Review #127: The Hawthorne Legacy by Jennifer Lynn Barnes

Anyone But You | Film Review