The Nun | Film Review

Image result for the nun poster

Hey Guys x

So, another Blumhouse movie for me to review! They've been putting out movies so consistently lately that it's so much fun to be a fan of them! Whether I love every single movie or not, they're absolutely my favourite production company, and if we remove the Marvel and DC extended universes, then the 'Conjuring' franchise is definitely my favourite cinematic universe!

At an Abbey in Romania one night, a young nun takes her own life. Sent to investigate, a priest and an almost-nun travel to the Abbey to discover the truth behind this mysterious case. However, what they thought would be straightforward ends up being anything but. Is this case open and shut, or is there a lot more to this story than meets the eye?

I'm trying not to give anything away for anyone that may not have seen any of the Conjuring movies, so that description is probably more than a bit vague!

But for me, I went into the film really well-versed in this world. The Conjuring franchise is one of my favourite movie franchises in the world, so I was really excited to see this next instalment - especially because it connects to 'The Conjuring 2'.

However, I wasn't as enthralled with the film as I wanted to be. For a start, it wasn't as scary as I wanted it to be. I mean, there were some great jump scares, but it feels like I'm gonna have to watch it again before I fully understand the back story of these nuns. While I felt that there was a lot at stake for the three main characters of the story, I didn't really care about those characters enough to be scared for them. I've said this before, but sometimes horror movies sacrifice character development for the sake of scares, and unfortunately I think that this film definitely does that.

Having said that, one thing that I like about this franchise is that all of the movies link in a way that you wouldn't expect, and this film is no different. Not only did I not expect it, but it really added a new dimension to the film. In fact, it was my favourite thing about the film as a whole.

Overall, I am still incredibly invested in the Conjuring universe, but this wasn't my favourite of the movies. If you went to see this film, let me know what you thought of it! Were you scared?

Lou

Comments

Popular Posts

Snatch | 100 Movies Bucket List

Book Review #127: The Hawthorne Legacy by Jennifer Lynn Barnes

Anyone But You | Film Review

My Problem With '8 Simple Rules'

Girl Talk: Summer Fashion