Book Review #56: Love, Simon by Becky Albertalli

Image result for Love, Simon book

Hey Guys x

I picked this book up on a whim. I had never really planned on buying it even though I loved the film, just because I didn't know if I'd actually read it. But while shopping one day, I saw it in Foyles, and decided to just pick it up.

It's about a boy called Simon Spier who is a totally normal guy with a totally normal life. Except he's keeping a huge part of himself a secret from everyone he knows - he's gay. And the only person he can confide in is Blue, who he only knows through email. At first, anonymity works for them. But as Simon falls deeper and deeper for Blue, he decides that this is a part of his life that he doesn't want hidden. While trying to find the true Blue, can Simon keep his sexuality a secret from the people closest to him? Even when he's being blackmailed...?

Now, I reviewed the film version of this book, which you can read HERE, and I said that I absolutely loved it. With the book, I honestly didn't expect it to be as good. The movie touched me so much, and meant so much to me, that I didn't know if the book would be able to live up to the world that was created on screen.

But thankfully, the book was just as good, if not better!

I absolutely flew through it. I'm not a particularly fast reader, but I could not put this book down. I actually think that Simon Spier may be my favourite book protagonist of all time. I loved everything about him, but most of all, the way he talked. I feel like, after reading inside his head for one page, I knew who he was, and this character was consistent throughout the story.

My favourite thing about it was that, after every prose chapter there is a chapter that just shows the emails between Blue and Jacques (aka Simon). We find ourselves in the middle of conversations, halwfay through deep confessions, only just catching the punchline of a joke, and it's all amazing. You get a full feel of the relationship between them and there is no way you don't root for them!

What was good?
I loved the way it was written. Reading it, I really felt like I was living inside Simon's head, and it was such a pleasant, lovely experience. He's a great character, and his story was one that I would definitely read and get fully invested in again.

What was bad?
One thing I loved about the film was the supporting characters. I thought they were cast really well and just made the film what it is. However, for me, the book versions of these characters weren't as satisfying to read about. While I loved Abby, Nick and Leah were a source of disappointment for me. In both the film and the book, there are said to be Simon's best friends, the ones he's known for years and years. But in the book, I didn't really get a true feel for their friendship. While Nick didn't have a huge part to play, Leah was just unlikeable. And I know that this is probably because the book has a sequel that focuses on her, but I still didn't really find myself warming to her at all.

Overall
Read this book! Then watch the movie! Or do it the other way around, it doesn't matter. But this story needs to be consumed in any form of media that it can be consumed in. It's too amazing not to be read or watched!

3.5/5 Stars!

Lou

Comments

Popular Posts

Road House (2024) | Film Review

The Matrix | 100 Movies Bucket List

Scarface (1983) | 100 Movies Bucket List

My Problem With '8 Simple Rules'

The Blogger Recognition Award!