To All The Boys I've Loved Before | Film Review

Image result for to all the boys i loved before poster

Hey Guys x

If you haven't heard about this film within the last two weeks, where have you been?! It's been getting so much press, and is already so popular, that I'm surprised at how many people haven't seen it yet!

It's about a girl called Lara Jean Song Covey. When Lara Jean falls in love, with feelings so powerful that she can't contain them, she writes letters. To date, she has written 5, to boys including her sister's boyfriend/ex-boyfriend and her ex-best friend's boyfriend. Lara Jean goes through life being invisible, with not a lot of friends, but she's completely happy watching Golden Girls with her little sister Kitty on a Saturday night. Until the day that her letters get out. Suddenly, Lara Jean's biggest secrets are out in the world, and there's nothing she can do about it...

I loved this film! I haven't loved a film this much in ages.

First of all, the story felt really relatable to me. Not that I write love letters to boys and keep them hidden in a box in my room. But the idea of a girl who feels invisible in life but has such a rich imagination and inner life that sometimes the two spill over into each other is one that I'm sure many people are able to relate to. Lara Jean is such a relatable protagonist that I think any story with her at the helm would be popular.

But the main reason that this film is so popular, for me anyway, is because of the supporting characters. Don't get me wrong, I completely love Lara Jean. But this story would not be this story without Kitty, Josh, Chris, Margot, her father and of course, Peter. This group of amazing characters is what makes this story stand out amongst all of the usual rom-coms and coming of age movies out there at the moment. In fact, the only coming-of-age movie rivalling this one right now is Love, Simon, and I think that a lot of it is for the same reason - the relatable protagonist, and the amazing cast of supporting characters.

The thing that the internet is going crazy for when it comes to this film is the relationship between Lara Jean and Peter. Their friendship is the kind of friendship that most people would love to have, and whether or not it turns into something more, it's lovely to watch and be a part of.

Overall, this film has something for everyone. It's funny, romantic, tear-inducing, diverse, and just one of the most perfect coming-of-age rom-coms I've seen in a long time. It's on Netflix, so watch it!

Lou

Comments

Popular Posts

Where Rainbows End vs. Love, Rosie | Film and Book Review

One Day | TV Show Review

Se7en | 100 Movies Bucket List

Upgraded | Film Review

My Problem With '8 Simple Rules'