A Wrinkle In Time | Film Review

Image result for a wrinkle in time poster

Hey Guys x

I read this book after it was recommended to me by a tutor last year, and I loved it! Although it may have been geared towards a younger audience, that didn't take anything away from it for me. So when I found out that they were making a film version, I was so excited! And last week I finally got to see it.

The film is about a girl called Meg Murry. Meg and her brother Charles Wallace have been without their father, scientist Dr Alex Murry, for a number of years. Her father's missing status is taking its toll on Meg, who reacts by doing badly in school and struggles to find things to care about. However, Charles Wallace has dealt with this by making three mysterious friends. Friends that he thinks will help them finally find their father. Along with classmate Calvin, Meg and Charles Wallace allow these friends to guide them through the tesseract and into other dimensions. But will they find their father? And can they avoid all of the evil that these dimensions have within them?

I really really enjoyed this film.

I knew the story because of the book, so I vaguely knew where things were going to go, which I found really helpful, because the story gets really fantastical and it's nice to be able to ground it in reality if that starts to get lost for you. Because there were a few points where things became, for want of a better word, unrealistic. Which isn't a big problem because it's not supposed to be, but that took me out of the film a bit.

However, the acting and directing was amazing. For all the fantastical elements, there wasn't a moment where I didn't believe what people were saying, or their reactions to certain events. Particularly the children, who I thought all did an amazing job in this film.
And then there's the directing. I haven't seen anything else that Ava DuVernay has ever directed, but watching this makes me want to watch her whole filmography because she's such a talented director! I think we'll be hearing her name a lot in years to come!

A thing to note about this film is that it is geared towards a younger audience. I wouldn't call it a children's film as such, but it's a film that children can go and enjoy - in fact there were quite a lot of children in the cinema when I went. But you as an adult can definitely watch this film and enjoy it, as I did. Yes some things might seem far-fetched, but if you go into it without thinking too much, you'll probably really enjoy it!

Overall, I'd recommend this to anyone, of all ages. But if you have a child or younger sibling or something, it might be nice to watch it with them. There's so few films out nowadays that children, teens and adults can all enjoy at the same time - this is one of them.

Lou

Comments

Popular Posts

One Day | TV Show Review

Where Rainbows End vs. Love, Rosie | Film and Book Review

Se7en | 100 Movies Bucket List

Upgraded | Film Review

My Problem With '8 Simple Rules'