Being Taken For Granted


Hey Guys x

I've had this post as a note in my phone for a while, and I figured today I'd just sit down and write it.

In an episode of Orange is the New Black, (no spoilers!) someone says to someone else: 'You can't spend you life holding the door open, and being angry when people don't thank you - no one asked you to hold the door.'

And this really resonated with me because I think that this is something that a lot of people, me included, do.

I mean, how many of us get someone something really great for their birthday, and quietly hope that the same kind of care is taken on our own special days?

Now, imagine if you did that, but for your birthday, the other person didn't get you anything. That would probably make you upset, and so it should! But then you have to think about why you got them the great present in the first place.

Did you just genuinely want to get them something amazing? Or did you want to get them something amazing so that you'd get something amazing back?

I think, in life, there can be so many people that take the things we do for granted, and that can be really frustrating and upsetting. But at the same time, I feel like we can sometimes allow ourselves to be taken for granted.

Like, back to the door thing, if they didn't say thank you after the first few times, why are you still holding open the door?

For me, it's definitely about that hope. That maybe, if I hold the door open enough times, that person will realise what I'm doing for them, say thank you, and maybe hold the door open for me sometime.

However, I think sometimes we need to realise that, for some people, you holding the door could be anyone holding the door, and they're just taking the opportunity to get through the door while it's still open.

Anyway, that's just my little ramble. I do feel like it can be easy to take someone for granted, but it's also easy to allow yourself to be taken for granted, so it's really important to realise when you're either taking someone for granted or being taken for granted.

Thank you for reading!

Comment below whether you've ever let yourself be taken for granted.

Keep Smiling - Lou xx

Comments

  1. I love how you've taken this topic the other way and discussed how as well taking things for granted, you've got be aware that you yourself can also be taken for granted.
    I've nominated you for the blogger recognition award! Check out my latest post for more details.
    Aleeha xXx
    http://www.halesaaw.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I'll definitely check this out! xx

      Delete
  2. I have been taken for granted before! I totally understand where you are coming from Lou. I am fascinated from this subject really. Thank you so much for writing this post, I never really think about things like this. Hope you are having a lovely day. If you have a chance, have a look at my blog and make sure to comment because I am including everyone's blogs in my 1st blog birthday post!
    Lauren xx
    laurelella.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is certainly not a way I've thought about this topic before, but I do agree completely.
    Elise xxx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment xx

Popular Posts

Where Rainbows End vs. Love, Rosie | Film and Book Review

One Day | TV Show Review

Se7en | 100 Movies Bucket List

Upgraded | Film Review

My Problem With '8 Simple Rules'