The 5 Second Rule


Hey Guys x

As you can see from the picture, I'm not going to be talking about eating food from the floor (aka, the usual 5 second rule).

Instead, I'm talking about something different.

I read about something in a magazine (I think!), and I've since dubbed it the 5 Second Rule.

Basically, the rule is: Don't point out something about someone's appearance unless they can change it in 5 seconds.

In other words, you can point out that someone hasn't done up their shirt buttons correctly, but don't point out that they haven't ironed said shirt.

Or, you can point out that someone should pull down their skirt, but don't point out that the reason that the skirt is riding up is because they need to lose weight.

See? It's that easy!

I think that if everyone follows this rule, there'll be no talk of body shaming or anything like that, because the way that your body looks is not something that you can change in 5 seconds, so people wouldn't point it out.

I even find myself doing this on the street. Not that I'd ever say anything to anyone, but I don't even allow myself to think negative things about some stranger if they wouldn't be able to fix it asap, and I guess I'm happier for it.

For me, negativity breeds negativity. I don't think I could be truly happy in myself if I spend a fair amount of time criticising (whether internally or externally) the people around me.

This is something that I wanted to share with you because I want you to give it a try. Not that I think you all spend loads of time judging people, of course not! But even in your head - try people watching, and saying in your head what you would tell that person if you could tell them anything, positive or negative.

Then, if you think of something negative, find a way that they could change this in 5 seconds, and don't allow yourself to continue with the negative thought - instead, be constructive.

Maybe this is stupid, but I feel like it would really make a difference, and I think that if everyone did this, people would have a lot more confidence and would be open to hearing constructive criticism.

Anyway, this is just a thought that I had the other day that I wanted to get out of my head and into somewhere constructive, aka, my blog!

Thank you for reading

Comment below whether or not you like the 5 Second Rule!

Keep Smiling - Lou xx

Comments

  1. I love this, this is such a good idea. I think we need more body positivity!

    <3
    perfectfixations.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. I go by this, though I've always said it was a minute- but five seconds is much better! I agree with the fact that negativity breeds negativity, so I try to rid myself of it as much as possible, and I think this is the perfect way to do it!
    Elise xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. love this post! :) x

    Love Holly jade at http://www.thelittleblogofvegan.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL I had to smile when you mentioned the usual 5 second rule. On a more serious note, I totally agree with you here. Makes a lot of sense and would work very well once applied in every day life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I completely agree. Thanks for the comment xx

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment xx

Popular Posts

American Psycho | 100 Movies Bucket List

Snatch | 100 Movies Bucket List

Miller's Girl | Film Review

Book Review #127: The Hawthorne Legacy by Jennifer Lynn Barnes

My Problem With '8 Simple Rules'