The Blackening | Film Review

I was really looking forward to seeing this film, just from the poster alone! I knew that, if the film was done well I'd absolutely love it, so it was definitely one of my most anticipated releases of the year.

When a group of friends go away for the weekend, they end up trapped in a cabin with a killer.

I loved this film! I loved the concept, the execution, the writing, the direction, everything. It was really well done.

One of the things that works best about the film is the humour. It's hilarious literally from the first scene, and even as the horror amplifies, it never really loses that humour.

It's modern without feeling patronising. I'm not sure about improvisation or anything, but a lot of the dialogue feels like it was written by the actors themselves, because it sounds so authentic.

As funny as it is, the thing that surprised me the most was that it was actually scary. Not scary in the same way that a film like 'The Conjuring' is scary, but the idea of being trapped the way they are is scary, and the way tension and suspense are created so effortlessly makes it all the scarier. It's billed as a horror comedy and delivers on both fronts.

The plot twist/reveal is easily guessable and was the thing I enjoyed the least, but even with that it doesn't take away any enjoyment from the film.

Overall, I don't have a bad thing to say about this film, I thought it was great and would definitely encourage everyone to see it.

8.5/10



Comments

Popular Posts

Star Wars Episodes IV, V, VI | 100 Movies Bucket List

Madame Web | Film Review

Drive-Away Dolls | Film Review

The Rocky Horror Picture Show | 100 Movies Bucket List

Airplane! | 100 Movies Bucket List