Alice, Darling | Film Review

I had never heard of this film, but as soon as I saw it on Amazon Prime Video, and read the premise, I immediately put it on. Not only was I intrigued by it, but I think it's an important topic to talk and think about, and seeing it on film is a good way to do that.

Stuck in an emotionally abusive relationship, Alice (Anna Kendrick) rediscovers herself while on vacation with two friends.

It's weird to say that this was an enjoyable movie, but I think the concept is really interesting and the film did a great job of portraying that.

The film is really powerful from the first scene onwards.

All of the cast were great, but Anna Kendrick plays her role perfectly. Not only in subtle nuances, but in every move her character makes. She is authentic and real, and as you're watching the film you don't doubt for a second that this character is going through something awful.

The most interesting thing about the film, to me, was the portrayal of isolation. Not only how it begins and continues, but how it completely encompasses Alice's life and shapes everything she does.

Not only is the film scary, but it's equally heartbreaking.

The only thing I didn't like about the film is that, while I think Alice's friends (played by Kaniehtiio Horn and Wunmi Mosaku) were great, and the actors did a good job with them, the three together didn't have as much chemistry as I would have liked. As they are the catalyst for Alice to see a world outside of this relationship, it would have made sense for the three friends to be a lot closer.

Overall this was a great film, it was powerful and emotional, and definitely worth watching.

7.5/10



Comments

Popular Posts

Star Wars Episodes IV, V, VI | 100 Movies Bucket List

Madame Web | Film Review

Drive-Away Dolls | Film Review

The Rocky Horror Picture Show | 100 Movies Bucket List

Imaginary | Film Review