The Invisible Man | Film Review

Image result for the invisible man 2020 poster

Hey Guys x

I remember seeing the trailer for this back in December when I was at the cinema. I didn't really know what it was about, but even from that I knew that this was something I wanted to see.

When Cecilia's (Elisabeth Moss) abusive ex-boyfriend commits suicide, she should feel relieved. But weirdly, she feels like he's still with her. And when unexplainable things start happening to her, Cecilia knows that Adrian (Oliver Jackson-Cohen) is involved. But can she get anyone to believe her before it's too late?

I loved this film. I feel like I've been waiting a while for a really good horror film to come out - and here it is!

I don't even know where to start with it, but I guess I'll start with the first scene, which to me was close to perfect. In the scene, Cecilia is trying to leave her boyfriend. It's amazing that we know nothing of either of these characters, but purely due to the way that Cecilia is acting, we find out everything we need to know about Adrian. In a film that is based on believing someone, the way this scene was created makes sure that the audience believe Cecilia from the moment we see her. And having the audience on her side like this is extremely important as the film plays out.

Another thing that the film does extremely well, both in this first scene and throughout, is the way it uses sound. I always feel this way in the cinema, but particularly in horror films the use of sound is so important. That silence before a huge jump scare, the background noise that lulls you into a false sense of security, every scream and gasp, they're all so important, and this film makes good use of each and every sound offered to it.

My favourite thing about the film was the concept. We've all seen ghost and demon movies, where the villain is allowed to defy all laws of physics to inflict its scares. And it is scary. But for me, the concept of someone being invisible is so much scarier. No one's walking through walls or disappearing into thin air. It's just a person that you can't see, and that it terrifying.
I didn't realise how scary that concept was until certain scenes in the film where you think Cecilia is safe, and then you remember that the person could be anywhere, listening to every conversation, looking over her shoulder at every opportunity, and that's really powerful.

There aren't many characters in the film. Other than Cecilia and Adrian, we also have James (Aldis Hodge), Sydney (Storm Reid), Emily (Harriet Dyer) and Tom (Michael Dorman), and while I won't reveal exactly who these characters are, they are all extremely important to the film. But I really loved the fact that the cast was limited. Events didn't have to happen in front of a huge group of people. And the fact that Cecilia's social circle was limited just added to the horror of the film.

Overall, this film is a must-see, and not just for horror fans. It explores two different but equally horrifying concepts - the idea of being taunted by an invisible man, and the idea of no one believing you. I loved this film and can't wait to see it again!

8.5/10

Lou

Comments

Popular Posts

Star Wars Episodes IV, V, VI | 100 Movies Bucket List

The Green Mile | 100 Movies Bucket List

Suncoast | Film Review

Drive-Away Dolls | Film Review

Where Rainbows End vs. Love, Rosie | Film and Book Review