Long Shot | Film Review

Image result for long shot

Hey Guys x

I really wanted to see this when it came out and I can't remember why I didn't, but when it came out on Netflix recently I was so excited to finally have the chance to see it.

Charlotte Field (Charlize Theron) and Fred Flarsky (Seth Rogen) were childhood friends years ago. Now she's the Secretary of State, and he's a journalist who finds himself without a job right when Charlotte is looking for a speech writer. But can these two clashing personalities work together to ensure Charlotte's run for presidency?

I really loved this film. I knew I would like it, but I had no idea how much I would love it.

Seth Rogen's movies have a specific brand of comedy that is evident right from the first scene. It's the kind of thing where, if you like other Seth Rogen movies, you're very likely to like this one.

It's really interesting to have a movie based on politics that is purely a comedy - and actually funny. Of course, the movie probably wouldn't be classed as 'political' in any sense, but the entirety of it is rooted in the political world. And unlike some other political movies, it's extremely interesting right from the start.

Just one of the reasons that this film works so well is because it starts with two really endearing characters that you warm to from their first appearance and stay warm to for the entirety of the film. I loved them both so much individually that that love was only amplified when they were on screen together.

The thing that makes this film stand out is the comedy. The story is interesting in and of itself, but the comedy makes it great. There were moments that I had to rewind because I was laughing so hard at the last punch-line that I missed the next one, and that's exactly what I want from a comedy.

But in addition to the comedy, it also feels real in terms of drama. The conflicts that the couple face really make sense and feel like things that real couples in the political world have to deal with.

As well as Charlize Theron and Seth Rogen being amazing, I also have to mention O'Shea Jackson Jr, who was amazing and hilarious. I haven't seen him in that many films (maybe one in addition to this), but I'm already a big fan!

One thing that I didn't expect from this film is what it does for women and feminism. Without even trying to, it does more for feminism than half the films that try to do this by making men look bad (Black Christmas 2019, for example). By making Charlotte who she is (an extremely successful, powerful woman who could easily become president in real life) and by making Fred who he is (a man who is successful in his own right without being threatened by a woman who is more powerful than him) we find a really healthy duo and a feminist icon in Charlotte Field.

Overall, the ending was great, the movie was great, there wasn't a thing about this movie that I didn't love. So what are you waiting for? Go watch it!

8/10

Lou

Comments

Popular Posts

Road House (2024) | Film Review

Wonka | Film Review

Scarface (1983) | 100 Movies Bucket List

My Problem With '8 Simple Rules'

American Psycho | 100 Movies Bucket List