Angel of Mine | Film Review

Image result for angel of mine

Hey Guys x

This is a film that recently came out on Netflix, and it had a really interesting plot, so I thought I'd see if it was as good as the plot suggested.

Lizzie (Noomi Rapace) lost her baby in a fire many years ago - a tragic accident that she has never been able to get over. But when she sees a little girl who looks eerily familiar, Lizzie is forced to consider whether she is losing her mind, or whether it's possible that her daughter could still be alive.

I had heard good things about this film before seeing it, so I was really disappointed when I actually watched it and it was just okay.

At the start, I couldn't really pinpoint what it was about the film that I found a bit weird and jarring. It took at least 30 minutes for me to figure out that the film wasn't sitting quite right with me because it didn't feel like it was driven by either character or plot. For a while, it just felt like a bunch of random scenes put together that had no impact on each other because I couldn't work out how anything that was happening would eventually go towards the conclusion of the film.

Some of the characters were really great in this film. I feel like Luke Evans was a bit wasted as the character of Lizzie's ex-husband (as he was on screen for so little time), but he was still a well written character.
However, Lizzie is a really weird protagonist. And this is because, whatever you feel for her, your feelings aren't strong. She as a character, and as a person, doesn't elicit a strong reaction from the audience. And because of this, I found myself not caring too much about the story, even though it was interesting.

But my main problem with the film was that, even though it was only 1 hr 38 minutes long, it felt slow. And by slow, I mean monumentally slow. I felt like I was watching it for about 3 hours and it still hadn't got to the point.
This was because not a lot happened in general, but specifically not a lot happened to make Lizzie believe that the girl was her daughter in the first place. I guess it didn't make sense to me that she looked at the girl from afar and automatically assumed that this was her dead daughter when she lost her daughter as a newborn and there was nothing else to suggest that this child was related to her. And she didn't do any research surrounding the death of her own daughter until really late in the film.

Overall, this film is somewhat interesting, even if it is slow with a predictable ending. But it's on Netflix if you want to give it a try.

5/10

Lou

Comments

Popular Posts

Snatch | 100 Movies Bucket List

American Psycho | 100 Movies Bucket List

Miller's Girl | Film Review

My Problem With '8 Simple Rules'

Book Review #127: The Hawthorne Legacy by Jennifer Lynn Barnes