Colony | Film Review
When a bioterrorist attack causes a zombie-like reaction from its victims, the survivors must work together to stay alive.
I hadn't heard of this film until it came out, but after seeing that it was directed by Yeon Sang-ho, who also directed 'Train to Busan', the best zombie movie I've ever seen, I was really hopeful about it.
I loved this movie.
It had a great start. There was a build-up that gave us enough necessary character information to make us care, while also being short enough that we could get into the main plot quickly.
We got to know the characters as much as we needed to, and once we get into the story we really get the chance to build connections with them. You care about them really quickly, which makes you all the more invested.
The zombies are designed really well, in a way that's genuinely scary while also feeling fresh and different from the designs used in previous movies.
The film is so engaging and fast-paced that you don't want to look away. Every second means something, every piece of dialogue moves the plot forward.
Not only is the group of characters great, but the actors are fantastic. They play the roles so authentically and really add power and emotion to what could have been a group of indistinct victims.
One of the only weak links in the film was the villain for me. I felt like his motivations, while well written, were a bit weak when compared to the result of his actions. He was also the only character who didn't always feel authentic, and instead started to become a caricature of an expected villain.
That said, the resolution somewhat made sense, and even if you have to suspend your disbelief, it made for a fun, entertaining ending.
So overall, I had such a good time with this movie. The filmmakers found a way to make the zombie genre new and fresh (again), and it's a story that you can really get invested in.
8/10

Comments
Post a Comment
Thank you so much for your comment xx