The Zone of Interest | Film Review

The commandant of Auschwitz tries to build a life for himself and his family while living next to the Concentration Camp.

This was the last film I needed to watch to have seen all of this years Best Picture nominees. I didn't really know what the film was about, but knew I'd be watching it regardless.

I didn't like the film as much as I wanted to.

However, what I did love was the use of sound. It is so important! Being able to hear the sounds of the camp as the backdrop to this family's domestic life is really powerful.

Everything that happens, and everything about what the film is saying, is done really subtly. The performances, the writing, the sound, nothing is too much or 'in your face'. And the subtle nuances are what makes it work.

The horrific nature of what is happening hits you multiple times as the film continues, which is both a good thing and a bad thing. It's good because, as I've mentioned, the film is subtle. However, for me this didn't work as well as it could have because after a while it stops being shocking.

The film moves slowly, and not much happens, which is another reason that the events become less shocking. You know what's happening is awful, and then that's kind of it.

The way the film shows the family's ambivalence to what is happening next door (because they are not directly affected) is probably the most powerful statement the film makes, and can be applied to so many areas of life today. These people are not portrayed as monsters, which makes their actions feel even more horrifying.

Overall, I can understand why this affected people, and recognise how important it is and how powerful its message is, but that message didn't come through as well as it could have. So I also understand why it didn't connect with some people.

6/10


Comments

Popular Posts

Book Review #127: The Hawthorne Legacy by Jennifer Lynn Barnes

Snatch | 100 Movies Bucket List

Miller's Girl | Film Review

Anyone But You | Film Review

My Problem With '8 Simple Rules'