Supernova | Film Review


I had been looking forward to seeing this film for such a long time. I remember when I first read the description and was immediately excited because it felt exactly like something I would fall in love with.

A couple, Tusker (Stanley Tucci) and Sam (Colin Firth), go on a road trip as a dementia diagnosis threatens to derail their relationship.

This didn't touch me as much as I wanted it to, but I still enjoyed it.

I loved the relationship, and the banter, between the two characters. If anything, I wished that there could have been a flashback or two so that the audience could see what their relationship was like before the diagnosis. I also think a flashback would have helped us to understand a bit more about who these characters are.

The dialogue throughout the film felt really authentic and real. I didn't expect the film to be quite so dialogue-heavy, and so reliant on the words being spoken, but thankfully the dialogue is good enough to carry the film.

Having said that, while the dialogue is good enough, it isn't the most entertaining film in the world. You're not really captivated by it, and it is quite slow. After a while, I was just waiting for something to happen, and nothing really did.

This is quite a simple story, but it stands out because it is told so well. There are times when you feel like you really know these characters, and that makes it easy to sympathise and empathise with them. It is also really easy to put yourself in their situation.

The film focuses more on the effect of living with someone with dementia than it does about actually being the person who is suffering from dementia. While this is interesting, I would have liked to see more about Tusker, his symptoms, and how everything felt from his point of view.

Overall there isn't that much to say about the film. It was somewhat interesting, and I liked the characters, but I thought I would have enjoyed it, and felt it, more than I did.

6/10



Comments

Popular Posts

Snatch | 100 Movies Bucket List

My Problem With '8 Simple Rules'

The Green Mile | 100 Movies Bucket List

Book Review #127: The Hawthorne Legacy by Jennifer Lynn Barnes

Anyone But You | Film Review