Spotlight On... James McAvoy

Image result for james mcavoy

Hey Guys x

It's been months since my last one of these posts - there's been too many movies to review!

I've been a huge fan of James McAvoy for such a long time. He's one of my favourite actors purely for the fact that 95% of the movies he makes are really really good. But he's also the kind of actor that, even if a film isn't that great, him being in it makes it better. But seriously, check out his whole filmography because there are some stunning films in there.

Favourite Movies: Atonement, X-Men Series
Image result for atonement movie poster
Image result for X-Men movie poster

There were so many films that I also wanted to include, and some that found their way into other categories in this list, but these two were chosen because they both became about more than just watching a movie.
For the X-Men series, not only did I watch the movies that James starred in, but I was introduced to the whole X-Men world, as well as learning about man-made superheroes vs mutants, which really helped me when it came to writing fan fiction. Either way, the X-Men movies mean a lot to me.
And then there's Atonement. I loved Atonement so much when I first watched it that, not only did I watch it multiple times, I then read the book and, using both of those materials, ended up creating an essay question in which I could talk about both forms that the story took, and wrote an essay that went a big way towards getting my degree. So if anything, I owe my degree and current/future job prospects to the film, and going even further back, my love for James McAvoy (who was the reason I watched the film in the first place).

Least Favourite Movie: Submergence
Image result for Submergence movie poster

I watched this film over a year ago and I remember being really excited because, not only do I love James, but I also really love Alicia Vikander, so seeing them in a film together should have been great for me. But unfortunately the film itself wasn't great at all - at least, what I remember of it now. I reviewed it at the time, and you can read that HERE, and part of me feels like I should re-watch it to see if I still feel the same way. But from what I can remember, that review is accurate.

Most Underrated Movie: The Disappearance of Eleanor Rigby
Image result for the disappearance of eleanor rigby movie posterImage result for the disappearance of eleanor rigby movie poster

I can't believe that I haven't talked about this movie on the blog more than maybe once or twice, because I remember being completely obsessed when I first saw them, and even seeing the posters is bringing that back.
It's about a couple that go through a tragedy, and the way that this affects their relationship.
This is a film of two parts - as in it's literally two movies from different points of view, and I love the idea of that because this is a story that definitely needs it. There is a combined version, but for me personally I'd just watch the two separate versions one after the other (of course, make sure you have three hours to spare - I watched them over two days).
The one you watch first informs your opinion of the couple going forward - I watch 'Him' first and then felt resentful towards 'Her' when I watched it. But either way, watch them both!

Most Overrated Movie: Wanted
Image result for wanted movie poster

I actually liked this movie. The only reason I'm calling it 'overrated' is because it's one that I wouldn't have rated as highly as it is. I can't really remember the details of it, but I know that there were a lot of moments that felt really unrealistic, and I didn't really warm to any of the characters. Either way, I just didn't walk away from it feeling like it was a really good movie.

Movie That Everyone Should Watch: The Last King of Scotland
Image result for the last king of scotland movie poster

This could have also been the most underrated because it's an INCREDIBLE movie and not enough people talk about it. I will sit down and watch all types of horror movies, but this movie (and movies like this) are 100 times scarier.
Nicholas Garrigan (James McAvoy), a Scottish doctor, goes to Uganda to work, and quickly becomes the close friend and personal physician of President Idi Amin (Forest Whitaker).
Based on the actual events of Amin's rule, I couldn't recommend this film enough, even though it's terrifying! It's such an amazing movie, James is amazing in it, and it's definitely a movie that everyone should watch.

Best Character: Kevin Wendell Crumb/The Horde
Image result for kevin wendell crumb

I can't believe I haven't mentioned 'Split' yet, but his character was the best thing about the movie, and he was certainly the best thing about its sequel 'Glass'. He plays around 20 characters altogether and each one is more amazing than the last.

Honorable Mentions

Favourite Movie: 'Split', 'The Disappearance of Eleanor Rigby', 'IT Chapter 2'

Least Favourite Movie: 'Trance'

Most Underrated Movie: 'Filth', 'Victor Frankenstein'

Most Overrated Movie: 'Gnomeo and Juliet'

Movie That Everyone Should Watch: 'Filth'

Best Character: 'Charles Xavier'


What's your favourite James McAvoy movie?

Lou

Comments

Popular Posts

Snatch | 100 Movies Bucket List

Miller's Girl | Film Review

Book Review #127: The Hawthorne Legacy by Jennifer Lynn Barnes

My Problem With '8 Simple Rules'

Girl Talk: Summer Fashion