August Favourites | 2019

Hey Guys x

I have quite a few favourites to talk about today, so let's get on with it!

Favourite Movie (1): Scary Stories To Tell In The Dark
Image result for scary stories to tell in the dark movie

I reviewed this after I went to see it, and you can read my review HERE. But every time I think about this film I like it more, and I really can't wait to see it again!

Favourite Movie (2): The Accountant
Image result for the accountant

Ben Affleck is one of my favourite actors in the world, so even though I had already tried to watch this once and turned it off, I wasn't deterred, and tried it again once it was on Netflix. And I was so pleasantly surprised that I had to put it down here, because I did not expect to like it as much as I did and I certainly didn't expect to love it. It's still on Netflix (UK) so give it a watch if you haven't!

It's about an autistic man with an amazing gift for numbers who discovers a discrepancy while working as a accountant. However, the cause of the discrepancy is linked to someone who will do anything to keep their ellicit activities a secret. But math isn't this man's only skill...
A must-watch!

Favourite Movie (3): Braven
Image result for braven

I've been consuming a lot of Jason Momoa content recently (which I'll talk about more later in the post), and of all the films of his that I've seen, so far this is my absolute favourite.

A man and his father go to their cabin for some time together, unaware that their cabin is being targeted by a group of drug traffickers who have no problem fighting to the death.

I can't speak highly enough about this film. It's the perfect form of escapism, and definitely a film that deserves more attention!

Favourite Movie (4): Memento
Image result for memento

I can't believe that I didn't see this movie before this month! There are films that make you think, and then there are films where you're forced to think, and this is one of those. A film like this could have been extremely complicated but was done so amazingly that everything made complete sense.

A man who suffers with memory loss tries to find the person who raped and killed his wife. But when he can't hold onto any new memories, will he ever know who he can truly trust? And will he ever find out the truth?

This is a near-perfect movie, especially if you're the kind of person who likes to figure things out for themselves when they watch a movie, rather than being told everything. Watch this if you get the chance, because it's amazing!

Favourite TV Show (1): Frontier
Image result for frontier show poster

After finishing OITNB, I needed something new to watch and this seemed like the perfect show to start, particularly because it's on Netflix! Again it came directly from Jason Momoa's filmography, but I'm so glad that I started watching it because it's an amazing show with so many characters to love and hate.

Its set in the 1700s and is loosely about the fur trade, and the way that this played into tensions between the English and Native Americans. But the show quickly becomes about so much more than that.

Favourite TV Show (2): Brooklyn Nine Nine
Image result for brooklyn nine nine

I talk about this show all the time, but it's in this list because I finally finished it this month, after having it recorded on my TV for weeks. The ending of Season 6 wasn't exactly what I was expecting, but it paves the way for Season 7 to be the best season yet... whenever it comes out!

Favourite TV Show (3): Stargate Atlantis
Image result for stargate atlantis season 2

I didn't realise that I had a 'The Orville' and general sci-fi-shaped hole in my life until I started watching this. I always say that sci-fi is one of my least favourite genres, but actually I find myself becoming completely addicted to shows like this, and Stargate is no exception.

It's about a team of explorers that regularly partake in off-world missions while protecting themselves and their people from a group of insidious threats.

If you need some sci-fi in your life, watch this show!

Favourite Song: Speechless


I've included two versions of this song, but there are so many amazing covers of it online that you should definitely check out. The first version is from the 'Aladdin' movie, by Naomi Scott, and the second is a cover of the song by Carrie Hope Fletcher. These are my two favourite versions of the song, and I find it fascinating that they are singing the same song with the same lyrics, but sound so different. Check out both of these versions, which are arguably better than the official studio version of the song.

Favourite Game: Bitlife
Image result for bitlife

I am obsessed once again. Whenever I have some spare time and nothing to do, this is my go-to game. If you haven't played this, what are you waiting for?

Favourite Actor: Jason Momoa
Image result for Jason Momoa

It was kind of obvious where this was going, based on the other things I've loved this month. But after re-watching Justice League and Aquaman (both of which I loved a lot more than I did the first time around) I decided to see what else Jason Momoa has worked on, and I was certainly not disappointed! Not only have I found amazing shows (Frontier and Stargate, as mentioned above) and movies (other than Braven, I've also loved 'Road To Paloma' - his directorial debut - and 'The Bad Batch', and still have a lot to watch!) but I've also learned so much. Not just about him, but about Hawaii, and Polynesian culture. It's really nice to be a fan of someone who's clearly so passionate about so many different and extremely important things, especially because he's always trying to make a difference. So yeah, amazing actor and filmmaker, but also amazing human being.

Favourite YouTube Channel: What Would You Do?

I've chosen a random video, but the point stands. I've been obsessed with 'What Would You Do?' videos for ages, and in August they started uploading videos from their new series, and so far every video has been really good! If you don't watch 'What Would You Do?', you need to start!

What were your August Favourites?

Comments

Popular Posts

Snatch | 100 Movies Bucket List

Miller's Girl | Film Review

Book Review #127: The Hawthorne Legacy by Jennifer Lynn Barnes

My Problem With '8 Simple Rules'

Girl Talk: Summer Fashion