Halloween | Film Review

Image result for halloween 2018 poster

Hey Guys x

I feel like I review Blumhouse films so often! But they've been putting films out really consistently lately, and good ones at that, so I don't mind my blog being filled with their name again and again. After all, they are my absolute favourite production company!

Anyway, let's get on with the review.

This film is a direct sequel to the first 'Halloween' film that came out 40 years ago.
So, it's been 40 years since Laurie Strode survived Michael Myers' attacks one Halloween night, and since then, she's been preparing. Her life, and her daughter's life, were directly linked to that attack, and Laurie was just waiting and biding her time, until she could get a second chance with the man who destroyed her life. And when he breaks out of the mental asylum, her chance comes. She and her worst nightmare have a final showdown, but this time, they're ready for each other...

After a recent re-watch of the original, in preparation for seeing this one, I found that I really loved it. A lot of the time when you watch old horror films, they're so bad that you don't understand how anyone back then could be scared by them. But with Halloween, even if I wasn't scared by the film itself, it's easy to see that the premise of the film, and the villain, are completely fantastic and original.

So then it comes to this film. And again I have to say, while I wasn't scared by the film itself, I thought it was great! It kept a lot of the surprise elements of the original and added in great things to make it more modern. In particular, adult Laurie's house is amazing, and a great addition to the movie.

One of my favourite things about it was the fact that it was about Laurie preparing and taking control, rather than just getting stalked by Michael all over again. It added a new dynamic to the movie and really upped the stakes.

And in addition to that, another thing that upped the stakes was the fact that Michael Myers had no limitations. He'd kill anyone, in the more gruesome way for absolutely no reason, which says a lot about his character and what makes him a great villain. Even though you know that the main character will 'probably' survive, you never really know for sure, and that's exciting.

And then there's the acting. Everyone in this movie did a phenomenal job, but of course the standout performance came from Jamie Lee Curtis, who was so amazing in the role - more amazing than she was in the original for sure! But every character had a purpose, and every actor played their role perfectly.

Having said all that, it would have been particularly interesting if Laurie's daughter was more involved. There was a huge story-line about how her mother ruined her life by preparing her for something that she thought would never happened, so I would have loved to see some of this knowledge hidden in her subconscious come into play.

And as I already said, I wasn't particularly scared by it. That's not to say that I didn't enjoy it (particularly the babysitting scenes), but I didn't really think about it too much after I left the cinema.

Have you seen it yet? What did you think of it?

Lou

Comments

Popular Posts

Snatch | 100 Movies Bucket List

American Psycho | 100 Movies Bucket List

Miller's Girl | Film Review

Book Review #127: The Hawthorne Legacy by Jennifer Lynn Barnes

My Problem With '8 Simple Rules'